Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Where does one start

Really, where to start. Do I start with why I wanted to learn about my ancestors? Or do I start with the first ancestor I can trace to America? Or to the farthest back I can trace? While I think about that, and about how this blogging business is going to work, I'll leave any readers who may trip over this page with photos that mark the farthest back I can trace my family tree in America.

When Thomas Gardner landed on Cape Ann in 1624, he couldn't have imagined that almost 300 years later (in 1907) a huge plaque would be placed there in honor of that first settlement. Which failed, by the way. But America didn't.


The great reveal of 1907 - the plaque is behind the flag.


This photo puts the plaque's size in perspective - it's big!

Interesting interpretation of this early settlement drama.
Do you suppose a committee came up with this text?

No comments:

Post a Comment